E.P.A. STATISTICS ON CO POISONING
ACCORDING TO THE U.S. E.P.A…
- Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances.
- Even more die from carbon monoxide produced by idling cars.
- Fetuses, infants, elderly people, and people with anemia or with a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible.
- At moderate levels, you or your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated, or faint. You can even die if these levels persist for a long time.
- Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer term effects on your health. Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not think that carbon monoxide poisoning could be the cause.
- DON’T ignore symptoms, particularly if more than one person is feeling them. You could lose consciousness and die if you do nothing.
- Visit the US Environmental Protection Agency